Today, Monday October 1, 2018 is the first day of Walk Your Dog week. Which means this is a perfect time to start walking your dog if you don’t already. Our furry friends need to release energy just like we do. A lot of the time when your dog is displaying undesirable behaviors, such as chewing or digging, your dog is board and needs to release energy. It is okay if you have take a few short walks throughout the day rather then taking one longer walk. Get them outside!
Tips for walking your dog:
- You are in control, you control when the dog is allowed to stop and sniff. This way the dog looks for you for guidance.
- Keep a brisk pace, this will also help keep the dog walking and not wanting to sniff everything you pass.
- Use a leash that is no more then six feet long. If you have a retractable leash, no problem, just lock it at 6 feet.
- Using the appropriate equipment aids in the enjoyment of your walk. There are tons of different products available for all sizes and types of dogs.
- Not only does the daily walk release some of your dogs energy but it also provides opportunities for other dog and people socialization.