It’s the start of a new year, and what better time to make a commitment to yourself, and your dog.
A trained dog doesn’t mean your dog can do tricks. It means a lot more. I feel trained behaviors are life skills that your dog needs.
What are some of the benefits of a trained dog?
- In home manners. This makes for a much more pleasant, and calm environment in the home. It means you can have people over and your guests will want to come back!
- Walks that benefit everyone. When you can go for walks with your dog without being pulled down the street you are building a bond, you are both getting physical exercise (which is super important when it comes to excess energy), your furry friend gets mental stimulation by all the smells, it creates socialization opportunities, and you can take them with you to more places.
- More dogs find their forever homes when they are trained. Unruly dogs tend to be returned to shelters and rescue groups.
- Training is a way to prevent problems from developing. A bored dog, a dog with excess energy, a dog that takes matters into their own hands, etc all lead to problem situations.
- You get to know your dog better, and they get to know you better
- It is a shared activity, and ultimately FUN!
Make this year’s New Year’s Resolution something you can stick to, and enjoy! Your dog is better than any work out partner, so make them your priority in 2019.